Monday, September 29, 2008

Steamed Egg Sponge Cake

After I posted my butter cake recipe, one of my new found blogger-pals, Josephine (such a pretty girl!) asked me for a steamed egg cake recipe

I have several recipes bookmarked and decided to explore this particular recipe. It rose very well and turned out quite ok. It does not taste too sweet after steaming and perfect for my mom who is diabetic. She usually enjoys them for breakfast.

I cannot recall where I got this recipe from (I definately copied it from somewhere ... credit to the original baker) and should you be keen to try it, here is the full recipe.

Ingredients :-
6 large eggs
1 1/4 cups (250gm) sugar
2 cups (300gm) flour (I used superfine)
4 tbsp (80gm) butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp baking powder (omit if using self-raising flour)
a pinch of salt

Method :-
Whisk egg with sugar till white & fluffy or double/triple in volume.
Slowly fold in flour, baking powder, salt & vanilla essence.
Lastly add melted butter.
Pour into a well greased pan and steam for 25 mins or till done.

I scooped out 1/3 of the ready batter and mixed in some choc paste. Poured 1/3 of the original batter into the pan, then pour in the coffee-flavoured batter and topped with the remaining 1/3 batter. Use a chopstick to give the batter a quick swirl for some marbling effect. Ensure water is rapidly boiling before you put in your cake pan for steaming.

Viola! An easy peasy 4-step steamed cake in a jiffy! Absolutely idiot-proof cos I could do this - hahahahaha.

7 comments:

Vickylow said...

It look nice and tempting, I'm hungry now haha

Josephine said...

Thank you very much!
The steam cake looks really nice leh!
Do you think I can use the same method to make "Fatt gou" (for praying used)???

Thank you for sharing the recipe!!!

Oh ya, I have created blogroll in my blog. Added you there!!!

Happy Holiday!!!

VG said...

Hi Jo

Looks perfect! I will try this soon.

Vin

Anonymous said...

Wow looks so delicious, I'm never good at baking, really admire people that can do it! thumbs up :)

Constance Chan said...

that looks nice. i've been baking never steamed before. but i'm gonna try it now that i've seen yours!

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of some foochow steamed sponge cake with mince pork. hehe... go figure out.

agnes said...

hey.. it looks nice & delicious though... probably can give it a try..

do u think i can reduce the ingredients by half since i dont need such a big cake.. :P

any idea?