Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Butter Cake

Mom requested for a steamed egg cake for prayers during the recent mid-autumn festival but I suggested we bake a butter cake instead as my mom's side of the family loves butter cakes.

They would normally consume quite a few of these cakes for breakfast during the first few days of chinese new year (don't really know why) so I tried this recipe and this is how mine turned out.


Not bad eh? I did not cut it as it was to be used for prayers but Mom told me, after prayers, they enjoyed the cake as the texture was really good and taste was nice. Again, another tap on my back for self motivation ...hee .. hee..

For the purpose of easy reference, here is the full recipe:-

250 gm. butter
1 tsp. vanilla essence
250 gm. castor sugar
3 eggs
330 gm. self-raising flour
180 ml. milk
pink food colouring
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. milk - extra

Method:
(1) Beat butter, vanilla essence and sugar until light and fluffy.
(2) Add in eggs one at a time.
(3) Stir in flour and milk in two batches. Divide mixture into 3 portions.(4) Blend sifted cocoa powder with extra milk and stir into one portion.(5) Add pink colouring into another portion and leaving the third portion plain.
(6) Drop alternate spoonfuls of mixtures into an 8" round pan. Use a chopstick to pull backwards and forward through the mixture.
(7) Bake cake about 1 hour at 175C. Stand cake 5 mins. in pan then tun onto wire rack to cool.

My mom likes it the "old-fashioned" way, so I omitted the coloring and marbling effects. Yummy!

5 comments:

Josephine said...

Wow! Not bad wor. It looks nice. Btw, mind to share your steam egg cake recipe?

2L2M.... said...

my friend once bought me a butter cake from this old coffee shop somewhere in Dang Wangi....and it is veli nice :)

So, when you going to bake for the gang??? :)

Family First said...

Dear Jo, ok will try baking over the weekend and post it up okie?

Dear 2L2M, aiyoh, my standard not that "up" yet to bake for the gang lah .. but dont worry, once I get better I sure bake one for you k?

VG said...

Hi Family First

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Glad to hear I am amusing - I aim to please! So now I can add funny to my gila2 nature! I am adding you to my blog list, for sure. Hope you visit me soon.

Regards
VG (the punjabi and not a chinese woman.. :)

cre8tone said...

Nice cake :)