Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How was School?

It was Orientation Day last Sunday. We were out in full force *smile*. Daddie, Mommie, PoPo and ....... Mickey Mouse (his new love) to accompany this Prince of ours!

All along, I know I dont have a problem with a crying/screaming kid. I know my son to be a brave boy. Sometimes too brave but thats another story. At school, I knew that the moment he step foot into the compound, he will not look back to find his Mommie or Daddie or PoPo. True enough, he was too excited with the new surrounding, new toys, new books and color pencils, new gadgets and a new slide!

This only means that as usual, it is almost impossible to make him sit on the chair in his class. He can only sit for 30 seconds and that's it. He is up and about other things. Hyper leh.
On Monday & Tuesday, PoPo accompanied him on the school van. Bryan insisted on Daddie's car, but after a while, he got comfy and enjoyed the ride. PoPo said there were 2 other kids who were crying like crazy in the van, and that made Bryan emotional too. He cried a bit but after awhile, PoPo manage to comfort him.

Teacher suggested to Daddie not to stay in the school compound. At one time, Bryan caught a glimpse of Daddie and screamed for him, then cried a bit. After a while, he stopped. This guy stops crying like an emergency brake! Just need to distract him with other stuff and it works magically.

Today, PoPo suggested she stay back the whole day and not make 2 trips to school since Daddie is back to work. She will follow the van and wait there till class starts. Once Bryan gets into class, then she will walk to the nearby coffeeshop to have her lunch and hang around till class finishes at 1.30pm. For the first 3 days, classes end an hour earlier. They will then take the school van back home.

PoPo has been kind enough to accompany Bryan in the school van for a week or two more. Both getting there and coming back. Yes, Bryan is still very young (he has not turned 3 yet). Bryan is a very adventurous boy. And curious. About everything. So that means, he is MOVING all the time. TOUCHING everything. PULLING anything. So he needs supervision. Just afraid that the school van Aunty cannot manage too many kids while she is driving. But will see how it goes. For now, we have PoPo, our savoiur. Thanks PoPo for your sacrifices.

Daddie has been having sleepless nights. He is worried about his son. How the son is coping in school. Whether the teachers there has kept an eye on his boy or not. Worried he goes upstairs and no one noticed. Worried he ran into the toilet to shee-shee or play with water and teacher does not know. Worried he falls from running all over the compound or while playing with the slide. Worried he put the color pencils in his mouth like what he does at home. Worried when he falls, its dirty and no one take him to wash his hands clean. Worried that he gets hurt while running about like a wild boy! Worried that the gate might not be locked accidentally and he gets to run out into the roads! Worried about school van driving carelessly. Worried about everything.

And you think this Mommie is not worried? I would be lying if I said I do not. But wish to let go. I wish to allow my son to explore the world. I wish to allow him to fall down and see how he lifts himself up again. I wish to let him learn that yes, you will fall down and it will hurt you, and its totally ok to fall. I wish to see him cry from being hurt but learn to stop crying too. I wish for him to feel and experience danger here at the kindy before he goes out to the real world and realise it gets much harsher as you live your life! I wish to let him be taught by others. I wish to show him that not everyone gives you or grants you what you want, all the time, like home. I wish to let him play with new things and explore new toys. I wish to teach him to share and not have all the toys to himself. I wish to let him learn that not all toys are his, to begin with.

He is barely 3, but yes, I wish to make him a more independent person than I am.

18 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

waaaahh...so much to worry about..hehehehe. it's common for parents whose kids are going to school for the first time. i was the same too :D i was worried that the school did not lock the doors properly, etc. after a while, you will worry less and are more relax :D your little boy is very independent :)

2ma said...

Bryan is so brave leh!!! How come his class ends so late, 1.30pm???

LittleLamb said...

i also let go..
the principal did told me..if i cannot handle philip, i will call u. so no calls, means good. initially i keep looking at my phone n make sure ppl dont call me within the time frame.... now i let him be. for me, i just dump philip at the school n i ran off. never once stayed.

Ann said...

Bryan is doing very well actually. And they do learn alot of school, especially routine, listening to instructions and all that.

Don't worry. You have put alot of thought into the school and I am sure he will benefit from it.

But hehehe....still will worry lah...that is parenting!

Vickylow said...

haha normally as parent we were worry for too much and under estimate our child. But the truth is our child is much brave and strong and adapting the shool life very well. So mommy & daddy can relief now ;)

Irene said...

he is so cute. and lucky you, popo is there to help! great! daddy & mommy sure no "fong sum", but slowly will begin to rilek kan? gambate!

ChloeRuoyi said...

Yeah man, there are 1001 things to worry if you start thinking. Just take it easy. Everything's gonna be fine. Glad to see that Bryan has no problem adapting :-)

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

i get your worries. i feel the same about gibran and i wonder how it'll be like for him to go to school 5 days a week later this year. bryan's a great kid. he's very independent for his age, so i think ure on the right track :)

Rose world said...

Hi! Glad to hear your son is doing well in school. Mummy doesnt not need to worry much.

When our kids start schooling, especially the first child, the parents tend to be more anxious than the kids. hahaha!! It is natural feeling. I had sleepless night the night before my girl went to pre-school last year. This year she is in P1. She was happy to be back to school.

Happy schooling, little boy.

alohamolly said...

so cute....thanks for dropping by my site and urs a good site too...

HAve subsribed ur rss ;)

Cheers!

Anggie's Journal said...

yah .... me also learning to let go when Jeremy start kindy last November ... now he is much better ... as long he is happy going to kindy , no phone call from the kiddy means he is all fine .... :P

Rina said...

Children are tough - they learn to adapt very fast. I also dropped Rowena off and left and they actually get more independant if it is left that way or they get more dependant on the parent being there. However, it is easier for me since Harvynna is already there plus I have faith in their school, through my years of Harvynna being there.

Cynthia said...

mommie and daddie worry so much hoh.. we parents never end our worries for kids.. but look at Bryan, he is so all alright with his new venture.. :D

Health Freak Mommy said...

All parents go thru the same fears and worries, me inclusive. Dont worry, they are tougher and more resilient than we think they are. Alycia has that Mickey school bag too :) It's quite big. But good for your son since it has got wheels.

MamaJo said...

Yeah, the faster you 'release' him to school, the better. Trust me, kid is even more independent and behave really well when parent not around :P

karenyiau said...

I recognize the school uniform, which Mayter is he at now? I wonder is it same school with Dillon?? :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I understand that it is not easy to let go...I am learning too.

Anonymous said...

Hello there, coming by from Rachel's! My son goes to Mayter too... Can exchange email???