Dont get me wrong, I love cooking & baking - but the thing is I'm just starting out with simple cakes, muffins & brownies - nothing fancy. But Babe_KL has been such a kind blogger and I promised her I will participate in this fun virtual party!
I decided on my mother's version of Mee Siam. Err .. mee siam is malaysian or not - heee??? But nevermind, I dont recall eating mee siam outside of Malaysia, so here is my simple recipe:-
1 pack of meehoon (abt 400gm) - soak & drain well - set aside.
some shallots, garlic, chillies & lemon grass - blended together to form a paste
dried prawns (blended separately)
Cooking oil for frying paste
Salt to taste
Some vegetables (shredded) - I used cabbage & carrots
- Heat up wok with some cooking oil.
- Place blended paste & dried prawns into oil & stir fry till you almost faint from the fabulous aroma filling up the air in your kitchen!
- Add salt to taste.
- When ready, add in meehoon & stir fry to coat noodles strands with the paste.
- Add some filtered water to soften meehoon while stir-frying.
- Once nicely coated, add in vegetables & stir well together.
- If needed, a few drops of soy sauce at this juncture.
- Once noodles are cooked, remove & serve.
I like my vege slightly raw & crunchy, so I normally just do a quick stir about 3 mins and its done.
This is the most simple noodle dish we normally cook at home. The best part is it can be served for either breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea - anytime you wish to enjoy it!
For my entry, I served it on a banana leaf and enjoyed it with a pair of chopsticks in the spirit of Merdeka! I love mine with some local mutton curry as a side dish.
Pardon me for the bad pictures as I snapped them during late evening and the lighting was bad + I had zero knowledge on all this photography thing - but hey - at least I tried & kept to my promise huh?