I settled for an easy recipe which requires less butter and something not too sweet and ended up with a modified recipe from Amy Beh. Also, a recipe that uses a small can of condensed milk seemed "healthier" than 250gms of sugar ... well at least that's what I think la.
125gm butter at room temperature
180gm self-raising flour, sifted twice
3 large eggs
1 small can of condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
some food coloring (optional)
- Grease an 8" round pan.
- Beat butter till light & fluffy.
- Then beat in eggs well, one at a time.
- Add the can of condensed milk, essence & salt. Beat till well mixed.
- (I beat it till it doubles in volume).
- Slowly fold in the flour.
- Divide mixture into 3 equal parts & add coloring to 2 parts.
- Pour batter alternatively into the pan.
- Steam for about 25-30 minutes till done.
Since lil one was screaming "cake! cake" once he started see me taking out my beater, I decided to make it colourful for his sake. To cheer him up! If it was my choice, a simple cake with some chocolate flavouring marbled in, would be my favourite .. hehehe. Otherwise, this is just as nice when its plain.
Lil one loved it .. cos we "pretended" it was his birthday .. with candles and all .. and he tried blowing the cake after we sang the "birthday song" ... hahaha. Good practice for his upcoming birthday dinner. Guess what cake I ordered for him? The clue is "clue" ... hehehe.
P/S: My apologies for some bad pics ... took via my mobile phone.